Our Academic Success programs integrate school learning with enjoyable activities and foster a culture of high expectation and achievement. Our core Academic Success programs improve literacy, enforce homework completion, expand access to technology, engage youths in the arts and prepare teens for college and careers. These programs include:
- Ready Readers Plus, which uses games and one-on-one attention to improve literacy skills for underperforming K-3 students. It also fosters the practice of reading within families.
- Power Hour, which provides homework assistance and tutoring for Club members ages 6-12.
- Project LEARN, which utilizes structured high-yield learning activities (including educational games, exercises and guided discussions) to encourage cognitive development and enthusiasm for learning.
- Diplomas to Degrees (d2D), which provides a range of services—including mentoring, individualized tutoring, and college- and career-readiness activities—to high school students.
- Career Launch, which helps young people to assess their skills and interests, explore career options and make informed decisions about education and work.
- Arts activities and instruction including ballet, graphic design, dance, band, sculpture, drawing and choir. Youths also take field trips to arts and culture venues, including the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Museum of Contemporary Art Cleveland and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum.
In our interactions with Club members, BGCC actively promotes education as an essential tool for adult achievement. Our programs are designed to increase graduation rates, decrease school absenteeism and encourage kids to create post-secondary goals by teaching basic educational disciplines, technology and the arts.